onsdag 29 september 2010

North Korea is dark - Haiti is poor!

As you might know, the Communist Paradise of North Korea (I hope you got the irony) has held a congress for the first time in 30 years. There is much to say about this country, but there is probably not another image that highlights their problem as this satellite image. (see link) http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/dprk/dprk-dark.htm

Also, consider the differences in economic development displayed in this image of the border between Haiti and the Dominic Republic, sharing and island but unfortunately not governance. http://therogersinhaiti.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/haiti-and-the-environment/

4 kommentarer:

  1. Heard about the blog from the 08s!

    Cool initiative, now I'm reading development full time and I'd reaaally recomend u guys to read The end of poverty by Jeffery Sachs, okey he thinks he's God but it's a great book about development! (nice case studies too!)

    Now I'm getting back to my development theories yeey.

    Hugs Natta

    SvaraRadera
  2. Good to hear from you! Where do you study? Thanks for the tips, keep on recommending stuff,it is very helpful (and the whole idea of the blog really) I'll have a look at it. Thanks!

    Take care!

    Patrik

    SvaraRadera
  3. I'm in Lund! Awesome place for student! Tell your students about this programe: http://www.sam.lu.se/o.o.i.s/18425

    Some more tips would be Geographies of Development by Potter (2008), great case studies!

    Natt

    SvaraRadera
  4. Hi Natta

    Thanks for the tips, keep it, I'll check it out. The course you're taking looks really interesting, I'll forward it to my students. If there's anything you'll find that you might think could interest me, let me know!

    Hope to hear from you soon again!

    SvaraRadera